For the first time in recent memory, there will not be a Memorial Day weekend graduation at Hinckley-Finlayson High School starting in 2019. The school district will be adopting a new calendar.
The district has worked the last two years to have a synchronized calendar with area schools, East Central (EC) and Pine City (PC), due to shared programs. ITV instruction is also helped by having a similar calendar. There are some differences in the calendar, like a Deer Day, which is unique to Hinckley-Finlayson.
Teachers had seen the proposed draft of the new calendar and were supportive, said high school principal Brian Masterson.
Features of the new calendar are:
* Early release for one hour every Wednesday to align with EC and PC
* Maintaining the day before Thanksgiving and Deer Day as days off
* Maintaining split conferences in fall, not in spring
* Renewing shared staff development day in January with local districts
* New item - spring break to align with EC and PC
* Moving graduation away from Memorial Day
The last day of school is June 5, to align with East Central and Pine City, one day after Mora.
The new calendar was unanimously approved.